Random historical tidbits, intended to keep you ahead of the class.
- 64 – Great fire of Rome: A fire begins to burn in the merchant area of Rome and soon burns completely out of control while Emperor Nero reportedly plays his lyre and sings while watching the blaze from a safe distance.
- 1536 – The authority of the Pope is declared void in England.
- 1938 – Douglas “Wrong Way” Corrigan arrives in Ireland. (this one is especially interesting – be sure to read up on Corrigan)
- 1947 – President Harry S. Truman signs the Presidential Succession Act into law which places the Speaker of the House and the Senate President Pro Tempore next in the line of succession after the United States Vice President. (a bit of political knowledge for you here)
- 1989 – Rebecca Schaeffer is shot by a crazed fan, prompting California to pass America’s first anti-stalking law in 1990.
- 2003 – Kobe Bryant is charged with sexually assaulting a 19-year old girl.
[tags]Today in history[/tags]